- Publication Date
Ulster Historical Foundation
- Page Count
250mm x 165mm
Clergy Succession Lists, Co. Limerick
The Diocese of Limerick was created at the Synod of Rathbreasil in 1111. Its illustrious Bishop, Gilbertus was one of the leading fathers of the reform movement at that time which brought the old monastic system to an end and which replaced it with the diocesan system. The Cathedral of St Mary in Limerick was built later in the twelfth century, and is one of the finest cathedrals in the Church. The Diocese occupies most of County Limerick, and includes the fine mediaeval City Of Limerick on the banks of the Shannon.
The Diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe occupies the modern County of Kerry, one of the most beautiful parts of ireland. The remains of Ardfert Cathedral are situated in north Kerry, and the remains of Aghadoe occupy a scenic site above the lakes of Killarney.
This volume contains a complete revision and updating of Canon J.B. Leslie's unpublished Succession Lists of the Diocese of Limerick, 1936, combined with a facsimile reproduction of his volume Ardfert and Aghadoe Clergy and parishes which he published in 1940. This work has also been thoroughly revised and updated. Maps of the two dioceses and photographs of the churches, and historical notes on the dioceses and parishes are provided.
Clergy of Limerick, Clergy Ardfert and Aghadoe is published by the Ulster Historical Foundation in Belfast. It is the fourteenth in the series, the twelfth to be to be published by the Foundation.